We’re delighted to welcome Mike Figliuolo, author and founder/managing director of thoughtLEADERS, to The 21st Century Workplace Podcast. With his first book, One Piece of Paper, Figliuolo helped us craft a simple and robust leadership philosophy. In his sophomore effort, Lead Inside the Box, co-authored by Victor Prince, Figliulo shifts his focus to “how smart leaders guide their teams to exceptional results”. During our chat we dive into many areas, including:
- What it was like co-writing a book virtually with someone he hadn’t met in person
- Triaging where you invest your time as a leader
- The Box performance matrix (and how we can best leverage it)
- How much time should we allow between performance reviews?
- Defining Leadership Capital
- Why if something you say during a performance review surprises your direct report, you’ve failed as a leader
At first blush some of the ideas discussed in this conversation may sound a little counterintuitive, but we’re certain that they will help you better invest your time as a leader.
“We’re encouraging leaders to be much more thoughtful about how they invest that really scarce resource: their time.”